[OM] Re: Which Camera To Count on

Subject: [OM] Re: Which Camera To Count on
From: Mike Lees <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 11:15:12 +0000
I found myself in the same situation. I have a number of OM bodies and
plenty of Zuiko glass and also an unexplainable desire to buy Olympus!
Having looked at the cameras, which as we all know have a limited life
span, I took a step back and tried to look at the systems as a whole to
decide which one I should buy into. I found very little information out
on the internet to really help. There was plenty of reviews of cameras
and lenses, and comparisons of specific cameras from different
manufacturers, but not much that compared manufacturers at a system level.

When it came to it I chose Canon and bought a 350D. The biggest factors
for me were

 The _current_ range of lenses available (I know Olympus are working on it)
 The fact that Canon make their own sensors (and offer full frame)
 The recent release (and price) of the 5D

I was really quite surprised how well I took to the 350D - this is my
first auto-focus SLR. I don't find it's (small) size a problem after
using OM bodies. I bought the 2 lens and grip kit despite reports that
the kit lenses were cheap and nasty because at least it was a start. The
kits lenses do feel very cheap and plastic and I have already replaced
the 18-55mm with a 17-85mm IS but only because I found one ebuyer.com
which was £125 and was probably mispriced since the usual UK price is
nearer £500.

I have quite an array of OM macro gear, which I am hoping to use with
the 350D when the OM adapter eventually arrives from the Far East. I
will then assess whether it is worth me buying Canon's ring flash which
will fit on the OM lenses with an adapter.

I'm sure both systems will be around in two years, but will either
camera still be around on two years? I think that in the OM era you
could build a system around a couple of bodies and expect to keep them
until they broke. Now the camera itself is less important - it more the
rest of the system and a feeling of the future.

Mike.