[OM] Re: [OT] Help with monitor problem

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Help with monitor problem
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:20:10 -0500
Thanks for the repair link.  Brought back a lot of memories of working
on old black and white sets of the 60's.  I even have a fiberglass shaft
screwdriver to minimize chance of electrocution.  I remember using it
once to adjust the water tank pressure regulation switch on my house's
water well.  Everthing (including the floor) was dripping wet due to the
high humidity and very cold well water.  Guess the screwdriver shaft and
handle got wet too.  It didn't keep me from getting zapped by mains
voltage when the pump turned on as I was adjusting the screw.  Knocked
me backwards a couple of feet into the side of the oil tank.  I'm more
cautious today.  I'll probably not remove the CRT cover.  :-)

I got briefly excited when the repair link mentioned the possibility of
having speaker coils adversely effect the CRT guns.  I have my speakers
sitting tightly up against the sides of the monitor near the CRT neck.
Unfortuantely, moving the speakers changed nothing.

The monitor has 5 different controls for geometry and vertical linearity
is one of them.  Unfortunately, horizontal linearity is not.  I don't
think there are any pot adjusting holes in the back but I'll check that
more closely when I remove the A-B switch from the signal path.  Right
now the computer desk is a total disaster area and moving the monitor is
not possible without displacing a lot of other junk that would require
finding it another home.

It's probably not worth paying anyone to work on this thing.  If it's
not easy it will have to wait for replacement.

Chuck Norcutt