[OM] Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year (OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year (OT)
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:17:10 -0800
I liked that photo a lot!!! I also thought I had a pretty good idea what it
took to take it.

http://www.jkeller.com/Photos/Birds/heron.jpg

The photographer probably is pretty patient and likes birds. He was surely
closer to the heron than it would let most people get. When the heron
strikes, autofocus is much too slow.

I watched a C*non user trying to capture terns diving into the water.
Whether he got any good shots or not I don't know. I've seen some amazing
shots though. The terns will hover 20 feet over the water, then rocket down
to grab a snack. Predicting where they will hit the water looked impossible
to me. I can't imagine capturing the terns with film. Film works for herons
but for sure that photographer is good!

I mostly settle for taking bad pictures of houses or rocks. They move slower
than I do.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Thats as maybe, but if you read about that particular shot he prefocused
and took pictures until he got lucky, I am afraid however good the
camera's get they can't make good photographers out of everybody (me
included :-) )