[OM] Re: C5050

Subject: [OM] Re: C5050
From: Parzival Herzog <parzp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 23:45:35 -0600
On Saturday 03 December 2005 12:28, Mark Dapoz wrote:
> Ah the infamous dying capacitor, a lot of 5050's seem to suffer from this
> problem.  Olympus used a special capacitor rather than the more traditional
> rechargeable battery to hold the charge while when the main batteries are
> out. These capacitors are now failing for some reason.  This problem has
> nothing to do with the CCD problems.

Interesting, do you know if Olympus has a "program" to service out-of-warranty
C5050s for this fault? Is it reasonable to ask for such service?

> Call Olympus and ask them.  Apparantly they can tell you if you're at risk
> based on the serial number.
> There should be no need to send it across the border, there are several
> factory authorised repair centres in Canada.  Don't expect fast service
> though. I've had a 5050 sitting at Nortown for 4 weeks now waiting for a
> new CCD. They just got the part last week and I hope to have it back soon.

I had read that Olympus was doing all the CCD replacements at a facility in
New York. I guess it was just a U.S.-centric report.

Thanks for the info, Mark.

--
Parzival Herzog