[OM] Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year (OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year (OT)
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:19:08 +1100
Er...your point being?
Seriously though - some years ago I watched a BBC photographer from
the Bristol Natural History unit at work, filming pygmy possums at
their work, catching big, fat moths. These things are the size of a
dormouse/jerbil and cute as hell. Was he out there with the 16mm
Bolex on the hillside in the September spring rains all night?
Hardly. He built an entire habitat in a diorama box while we went out
and trapped the critters, prey and other materials for him. Don't
think he came out of the ski lodge kitchen all weekend except to
sleep and eat.
I tend not to trust what I see any more. Like all those big tough
wild animals in the zoo - half of them act like pets when the staff
do night rounds.
On the other hand, I do know a technician who makes equipment for
guys who do it tough - he gets 3am calls from frozen researchers on
remote hillsides.
AndrewF