[OM] Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year (OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year (OT)
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:27:39 -0800
I've been very happy with Acratech. The metal to metal Arca-Swiss style
quick release mount is very solid. This style of quick release has many
accessories from several suppliers. I suspect a cheap head with all metal to
metal mounting could be stable. It's action just wouldn't be as smooth. One
advantage is that the majority of Arca-Swiss style quick release plates will
work with any other Arca-Swiss style tripod head. If you upgrade you won't
have to replace your quick release plates.

I had gone through three different Bogen/Manfroto heads and had been quite
frustrated trying to use long lenses. I think the problems I had came from
the rubber pad on the quick release. If you used one of the architectural
plates with the lip that prevents rotation and got rid of the rubber pad I
suspect they would work fine.

To save weight you can get a short tripod. Fences and tall weeds can be a
problem though. Similarly if you get legs that are too light you can often
just not extend them when using the big lenses. I carry my tripod in my hand
and most of my gear in a backpack. Keeping the WEIGHT of the tripod DOWN
makes a very big difference to me. Trying to save money on the tripod ended
up costing even more (3 sets of legs, 4 tripod heads). Probably 95% of the
time I carry a tripod.  YMMV

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Now that the topic of "big glass" is out in the open, I have a question
for those using these types of lens.  What tripod heads do you hang them on?

snip

I've more or less decided on the legs;

snip

Also, is it
realistic to consider getting something relatively cheap and then
upgrade,

Martin