[OM] Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year (OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year (OT)
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:02:12 -0700
I do not like ball heads for large lenses. I know a lot of people on this
list do. I prefer a gear head (Walt's fine recommendation) when conditions
permit. When a lot of quick movement is required I use a fluid head with the
shutter button on the handle of the head. Another good choice, especially on
a monopod, is the Bogen Lens Cradle with a sliding 3273 plate assembly. I
use that plate assembly on most heads for large lenses as it permits me to
balance the lens/camera assembly quickly. It will also work well on ball
heads. I have tried most of the Bogen ball heads and didn't like any of them
for large lenses. The brands you mention are all supposed to be good.
Sometimes there are just too many choices and it's hard (expensive) to try
them all. The three-axis heads work well but take a lot of hands to
manipulate the controls if one is in a hurry.

I have a new Bogen 3221WN tripod for sale (EB*AY item 7569667019) with a
3030 head. I would sell the legs or head separately if someone wanted. I
also have several camera bags left and can discount them for list members.
See a list at:

<http://myweb.cableone.net/jmac25/eqforsale.htm>

/jmac