[OM] Re: 300/4.5 Zuiko (Was: Wildlife Photographer of the Year)

Subject: [OM] Re: 300/4.5 Zuiko (Was: Wildlife Photographer of the Year)
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 14:37:09 +0000
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> The Zuiko 300/ 4.5 is an excellent lens. Only 1 stop slower than the big
> guns and significantly smaller, lighter and cheaper.

I am in complete agreement with Moose about the 300/4.5 Zuiko.  I kept mine
even after getting the 300/2.8 Tamron because of its size and weight, which
make it far more practical to tote and handhold than big, fat Tammy.

My six-lens digital grab-and-go outfit (at least until later this week)
consists of four digital Zuikos: 7-14/4, 14-54/2.8~3.5, 50-200/2.8~3.5, and
50/2 macro, plus two "old" Zuikos: the 300/4 and 500/8.  These, together with
the E-1, fit comfortably in a medium-size LowePro bag, along with a few other
essentials, the whole kit and caboodle weighing about 12 pounds.

This lineup will probably change soon, however, since, as I write, speeding
down I-95 from a store (B&H) in the frozen north, a UPS truck is bringing to
the more or less presently balmy Southland the EC-14 1.4x digital
teleconverter, which will turn the 50-200 into a 70-280, or the 35mm equivalent
of 140-560, being close enough to the 300/600 I get from the 300 Zuiko for Walt
work.  And, since the teleconverter is many times smaller and lighter, AND will
be used on a zoom lens, it looks like the fixed fl 300 Zuiko will be relieved
of doing double duty -- assuming, of course, the combination of converter and
50-200 is as good as I expect it to be considering the price of the pair and
that it's all new stuff with that fancy ED glass and such.

Nevertheless, the 300/4.5 will still get some use, because it's a good'un, a
definite keeper.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from