[OM] Re: The Internet is evil, evil, evil, I tell you!

Subject: [OM] Re: The Internet is evil, evil, evil, I tell you!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:32:23 -0800
Martin Walters wrote:

>Yes, but there would be no list members without the Internet. Likewise,
>it's much easier to locate and buy online, whether on Eb*y or from KEH,
>Adorama etc. If I interprete Walt's comments correctly, he's blaming the
>internet in general for his "kid in a candy store" predicament.... In
>the Great White North, I cannot imagine how hard it would have been to
>feed my habit without the internet.

Well, I'll admit to having gone a bit (hah!) overboard. On the other
hand, one big thing the web, and the 'Bay, in particular, has done is to
increase availabilty and lower prices.

When I first got back into photography, I picked up my first pieces used
at camera stores. Then I discovered the web markets - and that I'd
overpaid for pretty much everything I'd recently bought. The access to
things that seemed impossible to find the old way was amazing too.

I suppose if the web and auction sites didn't exist, I'd have spent
about as much, I'd just have a lot less gear. Whether that's good or bad
overall, who knows? I do know it's let me try out different brands,
versions, etc. of many things to find what I prefer.

Moose