[OM] Re: A weekend with the C*n*n 5D....

Subject: [OM] Re: A weekend with the C*n*n 5D....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 21:41:03 -0800
Rob Harrison wrote:

>I rented a C*n*n 5D from Glazers last weekend,.........

Thanks for the report.

>Problems encountered were:
>* I was using the Zuiko lenses (18/3.5, and 24 and 35 shifts) on aperture
>priority. Camera would randomly not get aperture info, and overexpose the
>shot. This may have been a battery charge issue.

Well, the camera never gets aperture info from the lens, as the lens and
adapter are entirely mechanical and the EOS aperture connections are
entirely electronic.

The problem sounds like a very commonly reported one with MF lenses on
Can*n EOS and Oly E-x(xx) bodies. Seems to be an incompatability with
the metering systems and manual lenses.

On the 10D and 300D, it mostly shows up as overexposure in AF mode
starting about f2.8 and getting quite pronounced by f1.4. If I recall
correctly, the E-1 has the problem in reverse.

In the case of my 300D, switching to Manual exposure mode almost
completely eliminates the problem
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/300Dexp.jpg>.

I have assumed that the better performance of the 300D in Manual mode is
a result of the different metering. Standard metering is "Evaluative",
sort of like Oly ESP, I suppose. In manual metering mode, it switches to
center weighted. Setting AEL gives yet different center oriented
metering, which I wan't really aware of when I ran my tests.

With the 5D, the metering is different. I would try out the different
metering modes with the lenses at different apertures. Partial Mode
might eliminate the problem by ignoring the outer areas without
requiring as much care as Spot. Or if that doesn't work, though I bet it
will, you could make an EV compensation chart for the leses you use, as
some E-1 users have.

>* Did I mention you can't shoot without batteries? They lasted at most two
>hours of shooting, so having two was paramount.

Wow! That's no good. The 300D will generally fill a 1gb card on one
battery. Can*n specs the 5D at 600 shots from one battery and dpreview
more or less agreed, saying they often shot for two days on one battery.
Perhaps the tethered mode uses up much more power?

Moose