[OM] New ZD lens annouced

Subject: [OM] New ZD lens annouced
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 23:11:17 +1300
Hi all,

I haven't been reading the digest for a week or so, so I don't know if this has
been covered already.

However, my usual photo shop celebrated its 17th birthday recently, and the
NZ Olympus sales co-ordinator was there. I had met him previously when
asking about the E manual adapter ( which IS coming here in the not-to-
distant future). Anyway, he told me that a ZD 35mm macro at a reasonable
price will be released within a few months; He did tell me the date but I
forget, and I think he said the local retail price will be about NZ$550.

In the same day I was able to handle an E-500 ( it is small cf the E-1), and
also the Konica? Minolta that a friend has bought. If you think the E-1 is
heavy, forget the K-M. It is distinctly heavier. My friend said he likes the
weight as it makes for more stability when shooting. He related a story of
when he had the chance to use a new Pentax model some many years ago
which was touted as being usefully smaller and lighter than previous models.
He said he had shot about 6 rolls, and ended up throwing them all away as
they were blurred; which he put down to the camera being too light. On
another occasion I remember him saying that friends levelled the same
criticism at OM cameras.

I understand what he is saying, as I have a drive attached to my OM4T most
of the time for the greater inertia (in the sense of mechanical physics) that
the extra weight gives, and thus almost surely sharper shots. I have very light
arms thus they have little inertia. I cannot use my chest as a steady for an
arm as the beating of the blood-pump rocks things far too much!!.

The K-M has a stability option.

It was great to see a 3x2 format in a digital camera.

Cheers, Brian