[OM] Re: New ZD lens annouced -- A Rant!

Subject: [OM] Re: New ZD lens annouced -- A Rant!
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 17:57:49 -0600
On 12/7/05, Simon Worby <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> AG Schnozz wrote:
>
> > Manual mode?  What stinking manual mode?  Have you actually
> > TRIED to use manual mode on today's cameras?
>
> This is the main issue I have with the C-8080. I thought it would be
> better on the E-500. If you'll pardon the expression, I'm a DIY sort of
> chap. I like manual focus and manual everything. The 2/4 is useful for
> quick snaps, but the 1/3 actually makes you think about things.
>
> If the E-x can't be used effectively as a manual camera, then I'm not
> interested in it. And the same applies to any DSLR, not just Olympus. If
> that means I have to stick to film forver (coz I can't afford the Leica)
> then so be it.
>
> Simon

I use manual mode often, particularly with Zuikos (or Tamrons) on the
E-1.  I'm not really sure what the point of manual is when using an
auto DZ lens (I tend to adjust exposure with exposure compensation)
unless making a very long exposure, but then even on the OM-2/4s I
would tend to adjust exposure in auto mode with exposure comp.

I suppose this is why I am very comfortable with the C8080.  The live
histogram is like clairvoyance.  I pick my stop and dial the shutter
speed accordingly.  It's unfortunately a feature belonging only to a
sophisticated EVF.

Joel W.