[OM] Moronic camera design #5327

Subject: [OM] Moronic camera design #5327
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:07:23 -0800 (PST)
I'm involved in a three-camera live video shoot of a theatrical
musical production this week. Had the choice of running the
switcher or operating a camera.  You think I'm going to not run
a camera? The video feed goes not only to tape, but to a pair of
16' screens in a 1500 seat room.

Well, camera #3, the one I'm running, is a brand new Sony DSR
PD-170.  Nice camera.  Actually, it's a really nice camera and
has an image quality that is simply outstanding.  I'm the
"handheld" guy and spend only about 1/3 the time on a tripod and
the rest of the time getting the "up close and personal" as well
as the "MTV" type of shots.  Fun stuff that's a little easier
with the PD170 than with the fully docked DSC-xx.

Odd thing happened during tonight's rehersal.  The video image
from the camera was delayed and choppy.  I went through every
possible setting on the camera and couldn't get it working. Of
course, the combination of a darkened room and multiple cyc
lights meant I couldn't see half the controls.  Finally, I gave
up and took it out into the lobby to reset everything and start
over with the settings.  Nope, still choppy.  It takes me a few
minutes to discover that the on/off switch has multiple
positions.  When going from off to on you want to stop at the
first click--not the second.  The second is the "memory"
position.  Totally trashes the usability of the camera!  What a
disaster of a switch design.  Glad I discovered it tonight.
There are reasons why we practice.

I do appreciate the flip-out monitor on the camera.  Good thing
too, since the rear-mounted viewfinder is a disaster.

The focus/zoom rings are obviously "focus by wire", and feel
very similar to the E-1's 14-54.  Unfortunatley, the rings are
swapped (focus in back, zoom in front) and go the opposite
direction.  At least the AF works reasonably decent most of the
time.

Sorry, no OM content, just wanted to vent.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com