[OM] Re: Lighting question

Subject: [OM] Re: Lighting question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 07:40:45 -0500
Use the classic 45 degree setup with 2 lights.  Polarizers not likely
necessary.  If you have them I'd use two strobes instead of
incandescents just to avoid problems with color balance.  Not that you
can't balance the incandescents via the camera or post processing but I
think the strobes will give you a more complete spectrum for color
reproduction.

Softboxes should not be required.  Soft boxes and other large diffusers
are to prevent the creation of hard shadows from small light sources
that tend toward "point sources" of light (like the sun).  The larger
the diameter of the light source (overcast clouds) the softer the light.
  Since you're taking a photo of a flat surface there can't be any
shadows cast.

Check the image for hot spots where the angle of the paint might cause
direct reflection back to the camera.  If it happens and there's not too
much of it just touch up with the clone tool.  It's also possible that
you might pick up reflections from other light sources in the room if
it's not dark.  In that case use a high shutter speed and small aperture
with more flash power to overwhelm any ambient light.  Then you can work
in a normally lit rather than a darkened room.

Chuck Norcutt