[OM] Re: New ZD lens annouced

Subject: [OM] Re: New ZD lens annouced
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:36:07 -0500
Yesterday we mentioned Maksutov and Schmidt corrector plates used on
small mirror lenses and telescopes.  The Maksutov is common on lenses of
about 500mm focal length and is a very thick meniscus lens with negative
curvature so strong you'd never miss it.

The Schmidt, on the other hand, looks like a thin, flat plate.  The back
side is flat but the front side, even though it looks flat, actually has
a curve looking a bit like a flattened sine wave with a peak at the
center and troughs about 70% of the radius out to the edge.  Very subtle
but it works to correct the spherical abberation of f/2 and faster mirrors.

Chuck Norcutt