[OM] Re: Lighting question (Polarization)

Subject: [OM] Re: Lighting question (Polarization)
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:52:53 +0000
>From out of the days of yesteryear, with a cloud of dust and a hearty "Hi-ho
>silver-based film" comes the Lone Old Fart with a quote from Chapter 16,
>"Close-ups, Copying, and the Use of the View Camera," page 155, of the 1958
>edition of "Graphic Graflex Photography," by Morgan & Morgan.  Some things
>never change.

"The reflection problem is more serious when the surface of the object being
copied is shiny but not flat; an example is a highly varnished oil painting
with bold, prominent brush strokes.  Some glare will be found from parts of the
surface no matter what the angle of the lamps is, and the only solution in such
a case is the use of pola-screens.  In mild cases of glare, a pola-screen over
the lens, angled correctly, may be all that is required.  For severe cases, it
will be necessary to use polarizing filters over the lamps as well, crossed
with respect to the camera filter.  This is accomplished by placing the filters
on the lights and viewing the subject through the camera filer, then rotating
the camera polarizer until all reflections are eliminated.  Only by the use of
pola-screens over both lamps and lens can reflections be eliminated completely,
regardless of the type of copy."

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from