[OM] Re: UPS update/ well maybe the subject has changed now

Subject: [OM] Re: UPS update/ well maybe the subject has changed now
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 18:15:05 -0400

> Not a proper debate for this forum as there is too much emotion
> involved.

I suspect it would be a hot topic, perhaps more so than the hot chili-pepper
thread.

>With respect to protection from bears, there is now quite a bit of
> data that says bear spray is a better deterrent to attack than a firearm.
> gun-shot grizzly will usually stay alive long enough to get you before
they
> die unless the shot hits a vital neurological center.

We don't have grizzlies, but some statistics (don't you hate statistics?)
I've read say more people are killed by black bears than by grizzlies. I can
assure you that a 444 Marlin stops a 400-pound black bear, but admittedly it
did keep coming until the fifth shot. Probably should've aimed for the head,
especially had it been a grizzly, but I didn't want to spoil that. (If
Olympus content is needed, I could post a C5050 picture of his stuffed head,
but hopefully it's not needed :-)

> I'd rather be killed fighting a bear than die in bed from cancer. /jmac

Okay, if we were given choices on this, hopefully there would be at least a
third option :-)

Wayne