[OM] Re: Gas guzzlers (Was Further chillies and other stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: Gas guzzlers (Was Further chillies and other stuff
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:03:35 -0700
The software on my 1976 Jeep has been extremely reliable. It's ironic to
have Brits razzing Yanks about automotive quality. The oil leaks on Jaguar
engines were finally stopped by Ford. Are there any automobile firms in the
UK that have not been bought out after going broke. I know that happened to
many firms there. I suspect the US automobile manufacturers are close to the
same fate. Achieving quality at a reasonable cost is difficult when
companies have overpaid inept management and union contracts that are way
too expensive. Speaking of ugly, how about those new Cadillac things. The US
companies didn't give a shit about quality until competition from the
Japanese and others forced the issue. Ironically the man who taught the
Japanese about quality was an American named Demming. My little 1985 BMW and
my OM cameras represent quality to me. With all the problems the Brits had
they certainly turned out some wonderful coach work. One of my neighbors has
a Bentley and a couple others have older Rolls Royces. Very nice. /jmac