[OM] Re: Now for a real question

Subject: [OM] Re: Now for a real question
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:07:55 EST

In a message dated 12/11/2005 6:39:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,
joaocosta@xxxxxxx writes:

Of  course, I
understand that the Zuikos are very high up there in the list of
reasons to buy Olympus, but I see a lot of Tokinas / Tamrons /
Vivitars, etc. for sale or auction.

This should get you started and will not be an inclusive list, however
represents a list of those I have owned or currently own and are ones I would
own
again.  Generally with the Tamron look for their SP series of lenses  and with
the Tokina their AT-X lenses.  My advice on any of these is to try  to find
ones which include their original hood as finding them after the fact is
difficult at best.  Fixed focal length : Tamron SP 17mm, 90mm f2.5, 180mm
f2.5,
300mm f2.8 and 400mm f4 are all keepers.  Tokina: the only fixed  focal length
AT-X series I recall owning is the 90mm f2.5 and although I have  the Tamron SP
version and the Zuiko, I wish I still had this one (not that I'd  get rid of
the other two).  On the Zooms, again looking at  the AT-X and SP versions:
Tamron 24-48mm, 60-300mm & 80-200mm  f2.8.  Tokina 28-85mm & 80-200mm f2.8.
That
will get you headed  in the right direction.  The only Vivitar with which I
have any experience  were a 90mm f2.5 (perhaps a 2.8) and the Macro focusing 2X
teleconverter.   Both are worth having.  I've owned most of the Zuiko at some
time or  another, with the exception of the "Big Whites" and in my opinion,
for most  of us there is not enough difference between any of them to avoid one
as opposed  to the other.

The Zuikos I've given up for the third party lenses are the 28-48mm,  180mm
f2.8, 300mm f4.5 and 400mm f6.3 and all the zooms above the  35-105mm.

If I had none and was looking for a super wide, I'd try to find a deal on
the Tamron 17mm f3.5 with the built-in filters.  If I was looking for a  90mm,
try to find a Tamron SP f2.5 at a good price.  If one  needed a long
telephoto for the kind of stuff I use it with (nature and  woldlife) I'd go
with the
fast Tamron SPs.  Either the Tamron SP or the  Tokina AT-X 80-200mm is a great
lens worth having.  So there you have  it.  My 2 cents worth and then some.
There will be some who disagree  with my choices and I don't think you would be
disappointed with any of those  suggested.  Bill Barber