[OM] Re: Gas guzzlers (Was Further chillies and other stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: Gas guzzlers (Was Further chillies and other stuff
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 09:50:40 -0600
> I used to think that they were also quality control consultants to the
> hydraulics folks as well.  But I've been told that all those leaks were
> our own fault for not religiously following the owner's manual's advice
> to use only Girling hydraulic fluid.  Seems our American made hydraulic
> fluids had a tendency to eat the (natural?) rubber seals in the
> cylinders.  I don't know if that's the truth but I can attest that
> something regularly ate the seals.
Check,

Didn't read the manual, did you....

The English cars of that time used DOT 4 fluid, not the DOT 3 of most
American cars. Usually, Girling was the only DOT4 available.

I believe the silicone fluid was an option, but I didn't trust the system to
dump a bunch of expensive fluid anyway.

Oh,, and on the subject of engine transplants, beware the rear end. The diff
mounted to the car under the  "package shelf" in a most unpleasant way. TThe
front bracket had a tendency to crack, and without any warning, break. When
that happened, a good healthy application of the pedal caused the diff to
rotate, right into the passenger compartment.

And no, I had mine welded in time.

Bill Pearce