[OM] Re: OT English as she is spoke

Subject: [OM] Re: OT English as she is spoke
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:15:06 -0000
Robert Swier wrote:

> If the person who wrote those words was a native speaker of
> English, then he or she isn't wrong. Whether an utterance is
> acceptable or not can only be judged by whether or not it is
> acceptable to a native speaker (or, group of native speakers).
> Native speakers do not make consistent mistakes, by definition.

I'm afraid I couldn't disagree more. If we all accepted what you write
above, then overnight the art of communication would be lost; the rules
are there for a very good reason. Over hundreds of years they may get
bent and then changed, but just because it can be uttered by a "native
speaker" that most certainly doesn't make it right, nor should it.

> It is only by examining how native speakers use a language that
> we know anything about a language at all.

How so? We know nothing about how native speakers used Latin, for
example (except that they didn't use it!), yet it remains a very
important and interesting language.

> They can't be wrong (consistently).

Oh yes, they can. And often are.

> If two native speakers disagree, then they speak different versions
> of the language.

In which case there are perhaps about 5 milliard versions of English.

I don't think so!!

Simon