[OM] David Knight

Subject: [OM] David Knight
From: "Andy Radcliffe" <andyjradcliffe@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:52:18 -0000

 On Sunday I went along to have a look and take a few photos at a
multi-lap, closed course Enduro event  that was taking place near to where I
live (what the Americans would call a Hare Scramble or Hare n' Hounds
event.)

Anyway, this guy was one of the competitors , see these few photos -
www.photo.net/photos/AndyRadcliffe
His name is David Knight, but most probably none of you will have ever heard
of him, as he was born and lives on a small Island only 30 x 12 miles with a
population of about 70,000. I was at school with his father from the age of
eight, when we both moved in to the town school with 600 pupils from country
primary schools
(mine had a total of 14 pupils). I suppose we country kids stuck
together....From the age of sixteen until about ten
years ago we competed in local trials together, "Knighter" as he was known
was, however a better rider than me, as he became I.o.M. Centre Champion
(and I
didn't...).
He had two sons, Juan and David, both have achieved great things in both
trials and enduro, but this year David (or young Knighter) became Enduro
World Champion (winning every round bar one and clinching the title with a
round to spare) and also won the ISDE in Slovakia overall. That in addition
to all his other successes -have a look at
www.knighter.net  if you want to see more about him.

Unfortunately , earlier this year I attended his father's funeral , along
with practically everyone else in the Island's off-road motorcycling
community. Paul (old Knighter !) died from lung cancer at the age of 52,
just a few months short of seeing his son take the World title. Far from
de-railing David's championship attempt it seemed to drive him on even
harder as he felt it to be the best memorial ever to his Dad who had
supported his career so selflessly.

Seeing David ride yesterday , hearing the glorious crisp crack of the
factory 525 KTM  and being amazed by his smooth and blindingly fast progress
as he lapped every other rider (in spite of a 10 minute self-imposed
handicap)
literally brought tears to my eyes (my wife thinks I'm odd, I suspect). It
seemed like every emotion was
wrapped up in the sight and sound of that rider and that KTM. The sound of a
wonderful piece of machinery, the consumate skill of the rider, the fact
that he is as nice a young man as you could wish to meet, all this and the
fact that he has turned a personal tradgedy into a triumph.
 And of course the fact that we don't get many Manx born and bred World
Champions in our little
village of a few hundred people, let alone from our little Island - national
pride had something to do with it too! . Knighter
has to be the best ambassador for the Island and always has a few of his
mates round him wherever he is in the world.
See the "Three Legs" emblem on his helmet in the first photo.

That's enough.....thanks for your indulgence if you've read this far ....at
least the pics were taken with Oly gear, E-1 and 50-200mm and 14-54mm (the
first frame taken on his demo lap  -note no race number ) You may also
notice that this being the Isle of Man (where it doesn't cut any ice even if
you are world champ  :-) he has to draw for a number like everyone else (no
#1 plate here!!)

Best wishes,

Andy.

This email has been scanned by the Manxnet Mail Plus anti-virus system.
http://www.manx.net/mailplus