[OM] Re: [OM][OT] Further chillies and hot and spicey musings

Subject: [OM] Re: [OM][OT] Further chillies and hot and spicey musings
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:43:27 -0800 (PST)
Hi Peter,

  The Belgian Beers are highly regarded here, even a lot of microbreweries
offer "Belgian Style" beers...
  Guiness aside, beers loose their taste due the pasteurization, I am told.
Back in my old Bulgarian times, we did not have to worry about maximizing
profits and our beer went bad in less than a week, but they tasted much better
than any of the "grassy" beers (as our British friends call them) sold here
that stay "fresh" for months.
  Someone recently gave me a bottle of "Zagorka Special", brewed by the "new
and improved" methods, but it was not the same.
  I am just as puzzled as Chris is about the credentials of the reviewers and
it seems that we have a lot of experts around here...:)  I immediately labeled
someone a "dumb ass" when I looked through his chart in which he compared
imported beers and saw that "Corona" and "Heineken" were very close to the top
on his list.  The "Zagorka" was somewhere at the bottom...it should be
somewhere at the top for its style, despite being ruined...
  Still, you should not disregard the American beers, they have been improving
throughout the years.  You will have a very hard time finding an European match
for this beers:
  http://www.barharborbrewing.com/products.html
  I just don't have the detail from that NY Times article to see what beers
were tested.

  Boris