[OM] Olympus Odyssey - it's on a detour

Subject: [OM] Olympus Odyssey - it's on a detour
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:29:14 -0800
To get something like the Odyssey started takes someone with dreams and high
expectations. I think Andrew has shown that it can succeed and I am very
thankful for his efforts and dreams. He had sent off a cherished camera with
hopes of similar dedication from the participants ... He hasn't tried
hearding cats.

Andrew needs to get his camera back ASAP. I'll contact both John and Clint
to see how fast they can fix up a replacement. I've suggested some changes
to the rules and have a few more in mind. Hopefully Andrew isn't so
frustrated that providing advice to me will cause him more grief.

I'll be putting up a WEB PAGE FORM to collect votes on some of the changes.
Hopefully I'll be able to get a perl script to keep a total and won't have
to spend much time reading and understanding.

The basic changes:
1.) Allow enough time for each participant so that they will have one
weekend.
2.) Tighter tracking at least in the U.S. (toll free long distance phone
calls & regular posts to the Oly email list)
3.) Try to build a critical mass of pictures quickly so that the Odyssey
takes on a life of its own. I will regularly ask delinquent recipients for
pictures. They don't have to be Ansel Adams quality. I'll collect votes
through a web page to see if simultaneously starting an ugly OM4 on a
reverse loop appeals to the majority of participants.
4.) Flexibility in routing (and unfortunately unpredictability). If a
recipient isn't prepared to take a picture, the camera will be rerouted.
5.) Try to keep it fun, let each participant end his obligation WHEN he has
sent a mailing receipt and four photos.

Providing kitty food for the Odyssey ...
-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

But I would like to say a special thank you to the people who sent in their
photos.  When your emails arrived I got a great thrill seeing what you'd
done with the camera.

I won't stay on
as the co-ordinator, I feel burnt out.

But I will tell you that I am in discussion with a list member at the
moment about him taking over the reins and as soon as the details are
worked out we'll let you know what's going on.

Regards,
Andrew McPhee
Olympus Odyssey co-ordinator
http://olympus-odyssey.com/