[OM] Re: D200 is out

Subject: [OM] Re: D200 is out
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 11:45:09 -0800 (PST)
> Once people commit to lenses and accessories it's much harder
> to get them to switch.

I used to think this too.  Not so much anymore.  Digital cameras
are as much of a commodity as anything else.  Canon has
attracted much of the customer base through "herd mentality" and
"gotta have the latest/greatest/biggest/best" thinking.  There
is no loyalty in that.  Just look at dpreview at the number of
people who've just bought the Canon 5D or 20D and are asking
whether or not they should switch to the D200.

My point is, there is NO COMMITTMENT with the bulk of camera
buyers. They'll bail for the sake of bailing.  Once the newness
of a camera wears off in three or four weeks or at most when a
new model comes out from their chosen manufacturer or even
another, they're drooling away and 'baying the "old" one.

I admit it, I've gone through this myself.  But it has taken
tremendous self-discipline (and a good CDFO) to keep me from
doing it.  The funny thing is, that the longer I have a camera,
the more I like it.  But you've got to go through the "love
cycle".  It's like dating somebody.  First you're attracted to
the body/features, then they walk on water, then they fall of
their horse and you're ready to dump them.  A few problems come
and go and only then does any real "love" and committment
develop.

As to the current dominance of the DSLR market, well, things are
always cyclical.  Always have, always will be.  For the
'Mericans' on the list, do you remember when SEARS was the
retailer taking over the world?  What happened?  Currently it's
Wal-Mart, but where is this COSCO and TARGET coming from?  How
about automotive companies?  GM was the global king for a long
time.  Not anymore.

It's something we see in the Telco/Internet industries too.  How
many times have you changes cellphone or internet providers?
Every couple of years you get a new phone with a different
company as soon as the "plan" expires.

No different with Cameras.  I remember the days when Nikon ruled
the roost.  Some remember Kodak and others may remember the
unstoppable Argus.  Sooner or later, Canon will get trumped by
somebody else who doesn't have to maintain a mammoth install
base and can start anew with a brilliant concept, product and
marketing.

Meanwhile, Olympus still won't have the replacement to the E-1
ready...

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com