[OM] Re: Advise sought for the dark side

Subject: [OM] Re: Advise sought for the dark side
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:23:27 -0700
Wiliam Wagenaar wrote:
 > [11-22 or 7-14?]
> Please share your thoughts about this question with me.

  I had to make the same decision recently, and went for the 11-22.
Reasoning:

  1. Some hundreds of dollars cheaper -- as it is, the 11-22 is the
single most expensive bit of camera kit I've bought, and that was scary
enough as it is.

  2. Takes filters, no big exposed front element. This may or may not
make a difference depending on what sort of photos you're taking -- I
know the arguments pro/con filters, but when I'm sticking a lens in my
cat's face for close-ups, I like to have a bit of glass there to keep
claws away from the lens.

  3. 11-22 is a reasonably practical size; the 7-14 is that much bigger
and heavier.

  4. As for field of view, my favourite OM lens is the 24/2 -- it's wide
enough for almost everything I've wanted, so the 11-22 would be even
wider. I have a 17/3.5 for the OM, and sure, it's really really wide --
but as someone else pointed out, unless you're really careful, it does
two things to magnificant landscapes:

  A. makes them all fit in one image
  B. makes them look very tiny and unimpressive as a result..

  Interiors are another thing, and I think it could definitely be useful
there. Then again, stitching can work wonders with a bit of patience.

  Would I use a 7-14 if I had one, and would I like to own one? Of
course.. But at the current price, would I _buy_ one? Given the
practical restrictions of using one, and the number of extra shots I'd
gain, probably not.

  Then again, you said:

 >On the other hand if I do not buy the 7-14 now I will probably
 >never again have the money so readily available to buy it.

  which scratches point 1 -- points 2 and 3 are more a matter of how you
expect to be using the lens. You could try picking up a cheap 17mm lens
for your OMs and see how you get on with that field of view -- e*ay
7572021445 would be (if it stays cheap) a good way to play around.

  -- dan