[OM] Re: OT English as she is spoke

Subject: [OM] Re: OT English as she is spoke
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:58:47 -0400
On 12/15/05, Patrick Moore <paddy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hmm,  well, though I'm not hugely vocal on the list here, I am in general
> quite a stickler for precision and accuracy.  And being 24, I'm at least
> slightly younger than you.   A born curmudgeon?  Hrm, no.  I only started
> caring when "l337sp43|<" became fashionable,  and I couldn't be arsed to
> waste my mind on reading it.  But still,  a curmudgeon eventually.  I'm
> glad to be one!

I think I was born with a general tendency towards curmudgeonry. Well
actually, I don't really want to start a nature vs. nuture debate and
I'm not aware of the human genome project having yet isolated any
genetic predisposition towards curmudgeonry.

Under normal circumstances this tendency would have remained latent
and only begun to show signs of development much later in life
(normally manifesting istelf in one's 40's or 50's I believe).
However, in my case I spent 5 years doing telephone technical support
for 2 different ISPs. During that time I was exposed to levels of
human stupidity and ineffectual management much higher than normal
ambient conditions. Unfortunately, to date neither Health Canada nor
Environment Canada have set guidelines for safe levels of exposure to
human stupidity or ineffectual management. This exposure has caused a
build up of cycnicism within my body which seems to be leading to
early onset curmudgeonry.