[OM] (OM) Seen on TV, bird photos OT?

Subject: [OM] (OM) Seen on TV, bird photos OT?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:15:03 +1300
Hi all

I usually don't watch TV, but last night I did see some of the 6pm news, and
there was an item of interest.

Dunedin is a city in the South Island of New Zealand, and it so happens my
son attends University there.

The museum there (I'm not sure of the precise details) commissioned one of
its staff, or a photographer, to photograph all the ? 76 (feathered) birds that
may be found inside the city boundary.  The result forms the basis of a very
large and popular photographic exhibition at the museum, and is now also
being published.

He (the photographer) was on TV, and his supposed technique etc was
illustrated. He took 10,000 images in the quest. He did not use a tripod; but
stalked the birds on foot on hands and knees, and on stomach. His gear was
N*k*n, and the lens I saw seemed to be about 400mm internal focussing,
and possibly with a max aperture of about f/2.8.  The prints would be at least
A3 in size.

To get such sharp images using hand-held technique says something about
Image Stabilisation, or something like that.

I am going to try and get my hands on a copy of the book.

This month there has also been a book published in New Zealand by David
Bateman on Art Photography in New Zealand. Announced this week. I have
yet to see a copy.  I imagine it will be priced in the range $NZ 60 - 90, from
previous experience of David Bateman books of this type.

I still have to see the Ansel Adams exhibition in this city which runs until
the
last week of January 2006.

Cheers, Brian Swale