[OM] Re: e-1 or om4-ti

Subject: [OM] Re: e-1 or om4-ti
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 00:35:30 -0800
My take on this. An OM4Ti may be 20 years old. An OM-1 30 years old.
Reliable as they are, I think that is pushing it, especially if you
are buying a camera with an unknown history. A lot of people love to
take their cameras apart without any training. All the lenses have
been discontinued too and so you will deftly trying to avoid used
examples with scratches, oily aperture blades, and fungus on the
elements. For about the same price as the OM4Ti in good condition you
could get a new Nikon FM 3a which is a very similar film camera and
will give you many years of good service. And as much as I liked my
Olympus lenses, Nikon and Canon make nice lenses too.

I can understand why people who already have film equipment hang on
to it and continue to use it. I think they will tell you that it is
worrisome as film brands disappear and all of the processors switch
to digital to make your prints anyway. And none of them have a clue
as to what they will do if our two resident Olympus service guys
decide to do something else or they can no longer obtain parts.

I would get digital if I were you. It used to be called the future of
photography,but has become the present. Nothing wrong with it and
many on the list are using it more than film. It gives you a lot of
creative control over your images and you can buy modern lenses for
them. The E-1 is inexpensive because it is long overdue for
replacement. With digital, usually, recency of design is more
important than the planned level of the camera before it comes to
market.  I would get the new E-500 if I were you. You will not regret
the camera, what Olympus and Kodak have learned since the E-1 or its
8 megapixels. If you would like access to lens features such as image
stabilization or single focal length lenses that work as intended
instead of zooms you will need to go to another brand like Canon,
Nikon or Konica-Minolta

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA