[OM] Re: e-1 or om4-ti

Subject: [OM] Re: e-1 or om4-ti
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:48:49 -0500
As others have indicated, the glass is the real choice. As far as the
medium goes, you can take good pictures with both. The E-1 will
make that process easier. I'm 99.9% digital now. I still have
an OM-4t and OM-3t and a few of my favorite lenses, the 100/2 being
my most favored. The glass for the E-1 is coming along, with a lot
more options than when I started with it. I still prefer the OM-4t
for macro.

If you have the need to be in a location without power for an extended
time, you can't beat the OM-4t. You only need to have lot's of film.
However, for me, traveling with film was always filled with angst.
Low temperature also degrades Li-Ion battery performance. The E-1
is certainly my choice if I'm going out in the rain. Film and film
characteristics is an art of it's own. Digital is closer to shooting
slide film.

There is also a certain feel with film, but now, after several years
using the E-1, I feel that my photography is about the same, with
the advantage that the E-1 is faster. Everything I learned from the
OM-4t, metering, light, composition, carried over to digital. At first
I suffered from camera diarrhea, but once I started serious reviewing
of my shots, that was cured. It seems that a good photo and the
right moment are not dependent on the camera. Having a faster
camera, however, lets you recover more quickly from that stupid
shot just prior to the one you really wanted.

You can get "extraordinary" with either. Film has the resolution over
the E-1. But it is certainly adequate for a large percentage of
photography. If you are investing in new glass, that is were the
bulk of the money will eventually go. If there are special needs,
like macro or shift lenses, that should be considered. If it is just
general photography, with one lens and one camera, the E-1 with
14-54 covers a lot of ground. The the OM-4t with 35-80 is the
closest comparison. To me, the 35-80 is really nice, but never
quite balanced as well as the other zuikos, so I would give
the nod to E-1/14-54 in balance.

Wayne