[OM] Re: Totally OT, need London (?) info

Subject: [OM] Re: Totally OT, need London (?) info
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:20:06 -0000
Hi,

At first glance it seems pretty fair that this is a scam.  Avoid !  But
looks like you already figured that out.

Address checks out in as much as Queens Drive exists, and it is in post
code N4 2XG in London.  For those in the know, it's not far from the
Arsenal Football Ground (Highbury).  See here

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=532000&Y=186500&w
idth=500&height=300&gride=532251&gridn=186480&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=pc&a
ddr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=
&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&out.x=2&out.y=7&scale=10000

Phone number is a Mobile Phone number, so not quite so easy to trace
without expense being incurred.  Assuming it is his mobile number, he
might be traceable via the mobile networks.  A quick search finds this
page :

http://www.ukphoneinfo.com/cgi-bin-Phones/nng?GNG=07031+918838&Submit=Su
bmit

but note that, as the page says, the numbers can be transported to other
networks (ie my mobile number was originally Vodafone.  When I moved to
Orange I took my number with me ...)

The use of a "personal numbering" service, which this seems to be, could
be a way of hiding yourself.  Kind of like a forwarding service so the
caller doesn't know your real number ?

Anyway, the scam-radar is flashing big red lights.  But with a little
googling (and not always on the most "legit" sites) you can probably
find enough info to scare him into realising he isn't as anonymous as he
thinks ... !

Regards,

Jon