[OM] Re: [OT] E-3 speculation

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] E-3 speculation
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 14:21:18 -0400
On 12/20/05, Jeff Keller <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> His belief that bigger CCD's will always be better ... ? When small is good
> enough, small wins. Cost is very important.

Well he was simply saying that all other things being equal that the
smaller sensor will always be noisier than the larger sensor. Any
improvement in noise performance on a small chip can be applied to a
larger chip.

I'd also expect that at some point it would become more expensive to
make a small chip (with the high resolution and low noise) than a
larger sensor due to having to use a smaller manufacturing process. Of
course the point where that happens may be so far off that it's not an
issue but at some point it is easier to cram all of that onto a bigger
sensor.

I'm intrigued by the speculation but at this point it really only is
speculation. I noticed that he also mentioned Foveon. It would be
interesting to see what they could bring to the table with their X3
chip. I think that chip has a lot of great potential but it would be
nice to see them partner with someone other than Sigma to deliver an
SLR that uses the technology. I'd really like to see what results
could come from a higher resolution version of the X3 sensor. But with
both Kodak and Fuji in the 4/3 group I don't imagine they'd be too
happy with seeing someone else's sensor in an Olympus 4/3 body.