[OM] Re: Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3...

Subject: [OM] Re: Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3...
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:45:18 -0500
At 02:09 PM 12/20/2005, you wrote:
>I'm getting disturbed by the intended end of my film days during
>2006.  I've got to find some way of keeping the medium alive.
>:(
>
>AG

I wish there was some form of consoling I could do. My solution is to
immerse myself completely in digital and drink myself into oblivion at
the mere thought of film - Universal Anxiety Toleration Medication.

I feel even Olympus has abandoned me. The OM-4t multi-spot metering
was just so intuitive. I felt in control. I new exactly how the camera was
thinking. Now, I just trust all these internal ESP metering stuff and
just check the display to make sure it is making OK choices, but I have
no idea how the camera is thinking. The more it becomes "digital" the
more it seems beyond my control, rather it is the choice of some
engineer back in the lab. Of course, the voice of the digital camera
steps in to tell me: "we have everything under control, and smarter and
faster than the human mind can think, we've computed 123 points,
evaluated auto-focus points, measured auto-focus distance, all in the
blink of an eye, what photog can do that?" The new cameras have spot
metering, but not multi-spot in any easy intuitive procedure like my
beloved OM-4t.

OK, I've gone digital 99.9999%. I relish that I don't have to find a
film lab, process film, scan it, etc. I take a shot, I can load into
the computah and raw convert, print whenever I want. That is nice
control. But, there is the nagging feeling, that something is gone
forever. I really don't want film to die out. But yet, I'm not there
supporting its survival. What a dilemma.

Technology has given new possibilities. If all you ever did was load
the camera with print film, set the camera to auto and take photos,
there is no loss converting to digital. But if you shot slide film,
knew what a 1/3 stop change would do to the result, then the angst of
all digital is just one of those life changes that will have to be
mourned, like a lost lover.

I certainly don't miss airport X-ray machines while carrying a bag of
film. I now have shots captured, I never would have made without the
new technology. Here is one example:

http://www.zuik.net/om/w_MG_0337.jpg

New flashes recycle faster, lenses auto-focus, image stabilizes hand
jitter, etc. And who can really bemoan the loss of complicated flash
setups and exposure computation, when you can get instant feedback, like
a Polaroid. Yes, digital is here, with a lot of innovative features that
can make or break a shot. So, whenever you start to feel that angst of
"film loss" - channel that into some new creative photographic vision,
whatever the means, OR else, find the bar, drink and weep.

Wayne - Totally conflicted about being all digital, yet I am.