[OM] Re: [Photo] Cold sea

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Cold sea
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:56:08 -0800

>US light houses have been automated, but still are all maintained. And
>they still use aural fog signals. I was just listening to one a few
>weeks ago in Maine. Did I mention that it was foggy in mid afternoon?

Alas, this is no longer true. They are eviscerating the lighthouses
around here by removing their sound making capabilities. A few years ago
I could lie in bed and tell the weather by the beautiful sound of the
diaphone at the nearby lighthouse. Then they replaced the diaphone with
a horn. And now the horn is gone. Seems that the out of state trophy
home owners complain.

mike