[OM] Re: [OT] E-3 speculation

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] E-3 speculation
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:50:11 -0400
On 12/20/05, Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> He does say 3 smaller sensors and mentions that as the reason for the
> dust shaker window. So three would have to fit into the space of one
> along with some sort of prism light splitter. 3- 2/3 sensors?  The
> noise level in a 4/3 sensor is much lower than a 2/3 and I doubt that
> averaging would help much considering the lower light levels and the
> smaller pixel sites.

I read that as meaning 3 sensors that are smaller than APS-C or full
frame sensors not 3 sensors that are smaller than the current 4/3
sensor. He's comparing it to the single sensor in a N*K*n or C*n*n
body.

However, I realise now that I had misunderstood 1 part. I thought it
would be taking 3 RGB shots (using bayer interpolation for each) and
then combining them to reduce noise. That would require the light to
be reduced to 1/3 for each sensor so that wouldn't help reduce noise
(as pointed out, you've just reduced your signal by 3 times).

I now realise that he was suggesting 3 sensors each capturing 1
channel, essentially doing what Foveon does on 1 chip (as someone else
has pointed out). That would still give you some noise advantages I
imagine; odds are you're not going to get noise on the same pixel on
all 3 sensors so it wouldn't show up as much. Plus, you wouldn't be
using a Bayer interpolation so noise on 1 pixel wouldn't affect
adjacent pixels.

I suspect that's where he's getting that 21 megapixel claim from, he's
probably doing the "Foveon math" of 7mp x 3. I still don't really like
the way that's figured out. One of the main things that the megapixel
figure gives you is a rough idea of how large you can enlarge your
shot before things look pixelated. But if you believe Foveon, you have
10.2 megapixels in their current sensor. But it's really 3.4mp x 3. In
terms of enlarging it to the point where things become pixelated,
you're dealing with a 3.4mp image.