[OM] Re: C*non 500D 2 element diopter--compact macro solution or expensi

Subject: [OM] Re: C*non 500D 2 element diopter--compact macro solution or expensive and cacamamie
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:59:17 -0800
>Wonder what anyone thinks of this.  I had shied away from close up lenses
due
>to loss of optical quality, though this lens has better reviews.  It is
>optimized for use with lenses from approx 80-200 and apparently may work
best
>if it close to the front element.  Max magnification I think is about .4X
with
>200mm.
>Mike

Check out John Shaw's 'Closeups in Nature'.  He devotes several pages to
supplementary lens.
He focuses (pun slightly intended) on the N*k*n two element.  He points out
he has published with a zoom / diopter config
And is a preferred method of operation in keeping a traveling kit reduced in
size.
I don't know if the 500D is of the same quality since I don't have the
N*k*n.

It works semi-well for me on a Tokina 100-300, and I say semi only because I
have a 72mm 500d mounted on a reducing ring.

Just be sure you are looking at a 500D rather than the 500 (single element)

Sell a kidney and buy one.

Jay

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets