[OM] Re: FL-36 vs FL-50

Subject: [OM] Re: FL-36 vs FL-50
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:01:20 -0700
> Looking at getting an Olympus flash for the E-500. Is there a HUGE difference
> between
> the FL-36 and FL-50 that might warrant me to spend the extra $200.00 for the
> FL-50? I
> am not a heavy flash user, however I would like try those slow sync shots
> using the
> flash.

  Search the archives of the Olympus SLR forum on dpreview.com for a
heck of a lot of people asking this question.

  They're functionally identical, everything the FL-50 can do, the FL-36
can also do -- the FL-36 just doesn't recycle as fast or reach as far.
The FL-36 is apparently fine for the majority of everyday use, the FL-50
is that bit heftier (physically as well as flash-wise) if you think
you'll need it.

  Comparing to OM series, the FL-50 gives marginally less output than a
T-32 at the widest setting, but as soon as you start to zoom in, it wins
out.

  -- dan