[OM] Re: E-1 Noise reduction and filter

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 Noise reduction and filter
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:06:31 -0700
> what is the different between noise reduction and filter?

  Noise reduction only really makes sense for long exposures; it takes
the first shot, then takes a second identical shot with the shutter
closed, and subtracts the second one from the first one. That way it'll
remove any consistent noise from the sensor itself. This makes most
sense for hot pixels and the like.

  Noise filter is like what Neat Image et al do, it post-processes the
image to try and detect and smooth out noise.

> what would be the setting on both for taking picture most of the time?

  Probably neither; noise reduction maybe if you're shooting long
exposures, but I'd suggest testing them both before doing anything
important.

  -- dan