[OM] Re: FL-36 vs FL-50

Subject: [OM] Re: FL-36 vs FL-50
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 17:30:05 +0000
My E-1 came with the little FL-20, which is tiny, cute, weighs next to nothing,
and would probably handle 75% of my flash needs, excluding macro.  After about
five months with it, I could stand it no longer and jumped over the FL-36 and
went straight for the FL-50.

Why? you ask.  Well, part of the answer may be that I'm too easily impressed by
big guide numbers, having for years had two T45s.  Secondly, the FL-50, with
the neat little built-in wide panel thingy flipped down and the zoom button
appropriately engaged, will cover the FOV of an 8mm lens.  Actually, I've tried
it with the 7-14 at 7mm, and it comes close enough for Walt work, with just a
tad of corner and edge fall-off, resulting in kind of a poor man's artsy-fartsy
vignetting.

I'm not aware of the FL-36's capabilities, and it may do pretty much the same
thing, but with a little less oomph!  And oomph! is sometimes the most
important thing.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from