[OM] Re: Need help editing these photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Need help editing these photos
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:32:52 -0800
Gary Teller wrote:

>See the two photos of the boy with a fish at
>http://home.mindspring.com/~gmteller/personalphotos/id2.html
>
>I have been trying without success to remove all or most of the shadow on
>the boy's face using what tools are available in Photoshop
>Elements.  Either the shadow is too much for the available tools or I'm not
>very adept at using them.  I'd vote for the latter.

Well, there really isn't much data available in those shadows. I think
pic B is hopeless, with the detailless area right in the middle of his
face. A, on the other hand, can be improved quite a bit, at least to my
eye.

I really did very little to the shadow area. I selected it and adjusted
levels to get the most detail I could showing, which at least suggests
the facial detail. I included the dark hair too, co it has more light in
it. The other things I did were to add LCE, Level and Curve adjustments
to make the rest of the image much more contrasty/snappy. In that
context, the contrasty face looks much more natural, particularly with
the increased color/contrast detail in the rest of the face. There are
still some artifacts in the shadow area, although folks used to standard
prints probably wouldn't notice it. With a higher rez image to work
with, those wouldn't be a problem.

Here's my stab at it <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Bfish.htm>.

>I should have paid more attention to the lighting.

Lordy, how many times have I said that after shooting people in the
direct sun......

>However I was in a
>hurry because the boy was actually struggling to hold the fish up.  His
>smile only came when I prompted him just before pressing the shutter.  His
>dad asked for a copy so I'd like to send something a little better.  I'm
>partial to the one on the left marked "A".
>
>Both were taken with an OM-2N with Zuiko 50/3.5 in Tulsa, OK on the
>Arkansas River.  It was the day before Thanksgiving, the temperature was in
>the mid 70's and I couldn't abide staying indoors.

How did you get the scan? It's entirely possible that there is more
shadow detail on the film than in the scan. Commercial scans I've gotten
generally clip a lot of highlight and shadow detail.

Moose