[OM] Re: Spiratone Fisheye 12mm

Subject: [OM] Re: Spiratone Fisheye 12mm
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:14:43 EST

In a message dated 12/25/2005 3:59:23 P.M. Central Standard Time,
oly-zooko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Olympus  USA has a Spiratone Fisheye 12mm up on the Bay. Best offer is
$149.00...is
that too much for this lens?

I probably wouldn't buy it, however that may have more to do with my  wants
or needs for a full circle fisheye lens.  My assumption is that it is  full
circle.  In the late 60's I bought a Nikkor full circle for the Nik*n  F I was
using at the time and it didn't get used much.

Have you tried or do you own the 16mm  Zuiko.  It is in my  opinion a much
more versatile lens.  Its images would probably  generate comments of
"Interesting perspective" as opposed top "Fisheye lens used  with this image."
The BIN
on this Spiratone lens is about $200.  Were  I wishing to expand my kit, I
spend my money another way.  Some  examples, each of which could leave you with
some change in your pocket if you  shopped carefully, might be:

90mm f2.5 or so, macro

17mm Tamron SP

50mm f3.5 Zuiko and auto extension tube set

Olympus bellows and double cable release

decent tripod (either new or used)

Another OM body or two

more complete OM lighting kit

set of simple studio lights

backpack or camera case

Cokin filter holder and some split neutral density filters (or  others)

focusing rail for close-up photography

multi-disk type reflectors/diffusers

good used ball head for your tripod

pinhole body cap and a Lens Baby

and the list goes on . . .

So my answer is, "No not to me," and I neither need nor want one.  If  I did,
I might find $200 a tolerable amount to spend.  If you will use it  and if it
will somehow help to improve your images then it would be a good  buy.
Having both owned a similar lens and having seen the results produced  by them
over
a good number of years, I doubt either would be the case.

My 2 cents worth and then some.  Bill Barber