[OM] Re: big vivitar flashes gone?

Subject: [OM] Re: big vivitar flashes gone?
From: chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:15:48 +0000
Just a reminder on the point I made about being able to put a 422/383/285HV
size flash on a Stroboframe type bracket to keep the flash over the optical
centerline of the lens in either landscape or portrait orientation.  Bouncing
the flash is best in which case the 522/544 potato masher is good and both
together (potato masher + hot shoe) are better.  However, when you have a high
ceiling and can't bounce it keeping the flash high over the optical centerline
does a much better job since it's able to hide the shadow down behind the
subject.

Incidentally, despite the humongous size of the 522/544 the actual power output
is not that much greater than a 422/383.  One other advantage of the 522/544 is
that they take 6 AA's.  6 AA NiMH's will run my 522 for 3-400 shots if memory
serves me correctly.  They also keep the batteries in an interchangeable
casette.  When the batteries do finally run out you can change them all in a
flash.  :-)

If you buy a 422D or 522 you can also run them TTL on the OM's with the right
foot for the 422 or remote sensor attachment for the 522.  I believe you can do
the same for the 544 but I think it uses a different model sensor from the 522.

Chuck Norcutt

From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>