[OM] Re: OT: Camera Phones forecast: ~1 billion /pa

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Camera Phones forecast: ~1 billion /pa
From: "John Gettis" <jgettis81@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:40:54 -0800
Problem I see is that from what I understand you cannot take cell phone
cameras into many government buildings or courthouses also as I walk down
from where I work to Starbucks for coffee there is a sign on the gym that
says that they are not allowed.  Not that is a problem as I am not likely
to want to go in there anyway.  So as they become more prevalent what are
we going to do? John

as shipments are expected to reach nearly 1 billion units by the end of
this decade, according to a new report.
>   In total, the market for camera-enabled cellular phones is expected to
grow from 225 million units in 2004, to 365 million units in 2005, to 475
million in 2006, to 600 million in 2007, to 780 million by 2008, according
to the report from IC Insights Inc. (Scottsdale, Ariz.).

>   ......By 2009, camera-equipped cellular phones are forecast to
represent almost three-fourths of the total handset market. At that time,
camera-enabled handset shipments are expected to reach 910 million units,
according to the report.

>   ..... In early 2002, most camera phones offered 300,000-pixel images.
Then, in 2004, Japan?s Casio introduced a camera-equipped cellular phone
that offered 3.2 million pixel autofocus imaging capability.
>   Korea?s Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. began shipping its SCH-770, the
world?s first 7.4 million-pixel camera-equipped cell phone in mid-2005.
This handset was priced at over $900.

>   ..........The high-resolution versions of camera phones are forecast to
go from representing only about 4 percent of the 2004 camera phone market
to almost 95 percent of the market by 2009, according to IC Insights.