[OM] Re: Tripod?

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripod?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:23:43 -0800
Nils Frohberg wrote:

>I looked through the archives and found _tons_ of different tripod
>suggestions. I also found a Manfrotto MA190 for 79EUR at a store in
>Germany (www.foto-brenner.de).

Manfrotto makes many wonderful products, several of which I have and
like. However, their ballheads, at least the, generally cheaper, ones
I've looked at, just aren't very good. They feel and operate crudely
compared to others of similar size/price. On the other hand, Manfrotto
makes their unique geared heads. They are unlike anything I'd tried or
known of before hearing Walt and other sing their praises here. For
leisurely work with macro, tele, or anything that requires precise
framing, there is just nothing else that comes close.

Oddly enough, I think it is safer to buy a camera sight unseen than
tripod and, especially, ball head. Last time I was in the market for
one, I did all the web research, reading descriptions and reviews, going
over what had been posted on this list, etc. Fortunately, I went to a
store and played with the one I had decided on. I just hated it!. Slow,
heavy, ponderous, awkwardly configured, completely unsuitable for me. I
then spent a long time looking at the various heads, trying out their
actions in hand, etc.

To my surprise, I ended up with a head I hadn't even been aware of,
which had no reviews on the web and very low presence. I've had it for a
couple or three years now and still feel it is the best choice for me in
a light weight head that is still sturdy enough for an OM with Winder
and good sized lens. The action is smooth and nicely controllable and
the thumb wheel driven mounting screw almost as quick as a QR plate
without the extra weight and bits. I bought a Velbon PH-253. They make
bigger and smaller versions, but this was the right size for me.

>Would this be a good choice/price?

I will never buy a tripod again without going to a large store where
they have a wide variety when I have the time to play throughly with
lots of different ones.

Right next to my left hand as I type are a Manfrotto/Bogen 3236 tripod
with 410 head for heavy duty, Hakuba HG-6240C CF tripod with the Velbon
head for most use and Velbon 343E tripod/head combo ready to be grabbed
and out the door in its little bag. The 343E is the smallest, lightest
combo I could find that is still significantly better than no tripod.
It's served me well in circumstances where I couldn't/wouldn't carry
around something bigger and heavier. It's spend much of its off duty
time in the trunk of my car.

Moose