[OM] Re: What should a scanning program (not) do?

Subject: [OM] Re: What should a scanning program (not) do?
From: "Ian Manners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:14:13 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Nils

>I also thought about adding the FS4000 to SANE. (Hmm, better check if
>someone else didn't add it yet :P) It's just a bit faster/easier (if you
>already know IRIX's SCSI library) to do your own.

FS4000 USB SCSI unsupported
Not supported. USB Vendor/product 0x04a9/0x3042. See link for more details.
unsupported(2005-12-18)

http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/canon-fs4000.html
The SCSI commands are not the same as for the other Canon scanners. A number of
them is vendor-specific and - since Canon does not make programming details
available - undocumented. Hence the Canon-SCSI backend cannot be used for this
scanner.

Bummer...

>> With Tame you can adjust the ends of the curves only, retaining the
>> original full range but just smoothing the curve out a bit. As the OS/2
>> version is simply ported from the Unix/Linux version, should be the
>> same. If you "drag"/"Adjust" the curves off screen, then you may lose
>> the end(s) of the spectrum. Once the adjustments are done, scan away.
>> ie, adjust the curves before you scan, or adjust and do test scans to
>> see what suites best for particular photos.
>
>Will this change settings in the scanner or will it only postprocess
>the data?

By the sound of the scanner, its adjusting the scan process itself though
I'm sure it also involves some post processing.

Cheers
Ian B Manners
Somewere on the net

The smoking of this document is not recommended.