[OM] Re: Tripod?

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripod?
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:40:46 -0800
I believe that stateside the 190 / 190Pro is known at the bogen 3021 /
3021Pro.  I have the pro model and would agree with Piers that the
capability of placing the central column horizontally is a big plus.  Be
aware that switching between vertical and horizontal is a bit cumbersome.
You can pull the column entirely off just leaving a stub portion which has
the platform for the head allowing you to get low, and you can also get a
shorter column.  I have the Bogen 3029 pan tilt head which is barely
tolerable and the Acratech ball head which is quite nice.

I also agree with Moose that you should manhandle a tripod before purchasing
it if possible.  Choosing a tripod / head is like selecting a religion or
underwear - choose what's going to work for you.  We can extol the virtues
of silk briefs, but if you like burlap boxers, get the boxers.

Jay