[OM] Re: poor Frosty

Subject: [OM] Re: poor Frosty
From: "James McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:41:10 -0700
My son rented a snowcat for a trip into Yellowstone tomorrow so I drove up
to the cabin tonight. It was snowing hard but things were going well until
about three miles from my turnoff where traffic was stopped. Two semi-trucks
were off the road at the same place on both sides and had the whole road
blocked. A third one then wrecked at almost the same spot. I sat there for
almost two hours while the mess was resolved. On the radio the truckers were
bitching about the poor drivers in cars that they were forced to deal with.
I reminded them that we were sitting there because three of their
compatriots had driven off a perfectly straight road and that quieted them
momentarily. This country is a tough baptismal for truckers (and other
drivers) not used to slick and snowy roads. Add a little wind and a lightly
loaded truck, usually going too fast, and they mess up the nice neat berms
the plows make. With a little luck I can make the remaining 20 miles to West
Yellowstone in the morning before the cat leaves. If the road is closed this
is a great place to be snowed in. We have about three to four feet of snow
now and it will be snowing for the next several days. I don't know how much
time there will be for photography tomorrow but I'll take an OM-1N with a
60-300mm Tamron zoom and my little weather proof digital Stylus. It would be
nice to get some sun but that doesn't look too likely. /jmac