[OM] Re: Thom Hogan's Annual Predictions

Subject: [OM] Re: Thom Hogan's Annual Predictions
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 22:57:12 +1100
Depends what you mean by viable - in this case, both are very viable
in lower sectors of the market and Olympus is still marginal in he
DSLR market to be truthful. Stores here tend to carry an E500 and an
ist-D because they have to and may or may not bother with the latest
KM model.
What's in it for Oly? Well, I don't see Leica providing a series of
lenses for the unit - although Schneider has done for the Samsung
version of the ist-D, complete with blue rings! So, lens sales
perhaps. And then there's the Image Stabiliser - those seem to be a
big negotiating point! It looks like a partnership of equals in some
important ways. They've both been a bit noisy, for instance. :)
AndrewF