[OM] Re: Worldwide Picture Day Jan 1 (attention Walt)

Subject: [OM] Re: Worldwide Picture Day Jan 1 (attention Walt)
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:51:35 -0800
I like the basic design of the olympus-odyssey.com gallery.

Having four pictures by each photographer would be nice but I don't know if
everyone will provide four. If someone sends in 8 they will probably all get
posted. If someone sends in 80 ... ?

I'm hoping we can get many pictures from alll over the world so city,
state(province?), country would be important to have. I'll find a way to
display all data sent without overwhelming the pictures. Probably try using
ALT tags that display when the mouse is positioned on the image or an info
page for each image.

Sometimes the story about the photo can be as meaningful as the picture.
Other times there isn't any story. Assume any information you include will
be posted (as long as it is in a form I can cut & paste)

If I were to try to find something different about this compared to TOPE, I
would say there is more emphasis on images and events and less on
discussiing techniques/composition. It will really end up being what is sent
in though. So the participants will determine what is there. I could imagine
a large number of snapshots taken right around Jan 1 maiking a very
interesting web site. Of course if we get several thousand fine art photos
that would be very nice too.

I'll get a first rough design up as soon as I get images. I will almost
surely try to revise the pages to make them more attractive and match what
is available to post.

I've been sick all week. Comcast seems to have been taken down by the wind &
rain, but one of my neighbors' unsecured wireless network smust be connected
to DSL  ;-)  . I may be out of touch much of today and perhaps tomorrow.
Likely I'll be trying to set up computers and may have time to work on web
sites.

Take lots of photos and send them in and they will get posted fairly quickly

Best wishes,
-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)

I might just do that, or something similar.  Easy is usually preferred by
the occasionally lackadaisical.

However, I have a couple of questions.  I'm not sure I understand all I know
about this undertaking.  Somebody answer me these:

(1) Are we supposed to send one photo, like for TOPE, or however many we can
get in focus in one day?  (One's enough for me.)

(2) Are we supposed to include shooting data, like for TOPE, or just eschew
any sort of record-keeping?

(3) If the answer to (2) is yes, include data, then how much?  Just camera
and lens, or everything from finger used to trip the shutter to underwear
color and type of fabric, if any, worn when the shot was made?  (Personally,
I prefer sackcloth to burlap, and none to some sometimes.)

Walt, who likes to know the rules so he can decide in advance which to
violate

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --