[OM] Re: [OT] unbelievable E-1 deal on the bay

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] unbelievable E-1 deal on the bay
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 00:51:13 -0000
True, a refurb would sell for less than a brand new, and more than a used.
HM C&E, I am sure, do know the difference - and the relative worth of each
on these shores.  Thus (in their words)

"Value Added Tax (VAT) - Import VAT is charged at the same rate that applies
to similar goods sold in the UK. The value of the goods for import VAT is
based on the value for customs duty plus any import duties charged.  Used
goods are still liable to the same duty and VAT charges as if they were new.
However, their value may vary depending on their age and condition."

At least digital still cameras are duty free (film cameras attract 4.9%
duty).  Neither is VAT free.

Happy New Year!

--
Piers